TWO CHILDREN DIE AT PRIMARY SCHOOL AFTER OUTBREAK OF STOMACH BUG

Two children who attended a Liverpool primary school which is battling an outbreak of an infectious stomach bug have died.

The pair, believed to be just five and six year's old, had been pupils at Millstead Primary School, in Everton, Merseyside. 

Their headteacher said everyone connected with the school was 'devastated' by their deaths, and that they had 'filled their classes with joy'. 

The school had been dealing with an outbreak of giardiasis, an infection caused by a parasite which causes diarrhoea, stomach cramps, flatulence and bloating. 

It is generally not considered to be a serious risk to health and can be treated easily with antibiotics.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) had been managing the outbreak of the illness and said that although the reason for their deaths has not been confirmed as of yet, it is 'unlikely' to be due to the bug. 

A spokesperson for the UKHSA said: 'UK Health Security Agency are aware of the sad deaths of two children who attend Millstead Primary School and our thoughts are with the family, friends and school community. 

'The deaths are unlikely to be due to giardia. Giardia usually causes a self-limiting gastrointestinal illness which can spread easily in households and school settings.'

The outbreak of giardia at the special needs school, which is caused by the parasite giardia lamblia, was first reported by the Liverpool Echo last month.

Since then health officials have put preventative measures in place to stop the outbreak, including closing the school entirely for one week in a bid to stop it spreading.

More to follow... 

Read more

2024-07-10T07:35:13Z dg43tfdfdgfd